Tuesday, October 29, 2013

skinny jeans and pull ups.*

Let's take a minute to talk about my job.

About how it is probably the lowest paying, most energy sucking, painful, frustrating, joyful, rewarding, edifying, inspiring job I will ever have.

I work in a PECS classroom (Picture Exchange Communication System). Most of our students fall on the Autism spectrum or have a speech, language, or educational delay. We also have a small number of "typical" peers who are in place to demonstrate developmentally appropriate behavior. We operate my using visuals or pictures, representing everything in our classroom. Each child has the own "visual schedule" that gives them the run down of the day in pictures. (This is because many children with autism respond better to visual cues than auditory.)

Most of our students have much deeper needs than the all encompassing "diagnosis" or "label" that they enter our classroom with. It is tough. Our kiddos are tough. Even on some of their best days, we can find ourselves struggling to meet them where they are. Each one is an amazing little mystery. One minute, I think I am going to hit my breaking point, grab my bag and just walk right out the door. The next minute, I am a puddle in the floor getting an affectionate hug from a kid as I comfort them. While I am soaking up that hug, one sneaks up behind me and bites my skull. (Yup, right through the hair.) Then I am near tears when one makes eye contact with me and speaks a coherent thought for the first time in weeks.

And that is just a two-minute span.

I have noticed that so many people know SO little about autism. And that is the purpose of this blog post. Autism is an epidemic. We can sit here and argue about immunizations, overdiagnosis, genetic predisposition, environmental factors, and hundreds of other possible causes. But the fact is, with stats ringing in that 1 in every 88 children will be on the spectrum, it is very likely that you will be in contact with a child (or adult) with autism. 

Take a moment to visit autismspeaks.org. It is an amazing resource to explain this disorder and give you  tools for interaction. And I am ALWAYS excited when people ask me questions, so please do! If I can't answer them, I love to track down the answer. You can never learn too much about the people around you.

Here are some facts to start you off:

  • Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
  • Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
  • Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
  • There is no medical detection or cure for autism
  • However, Autism can be detected as early as 6 months.
Enjoy!



*The title of this post comes from the recent strife we have endured as one of our parents has tried to mix the world of fashion with a lack of potty training. Two words: sensory issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment