Wednesday, August 29, 2012

[pen-woman-ship]

Living in Montana has made me deal with things that have NEVER crossed my mind before. Such as rolling up my windows at night so I don't get a ton of ash in my car. And, on that subject, the fact that we have to reschedule our location for bible study due to the smoke outside. Who knew? Similarly, this morning, though the temperature was perfect outside, I had to run on the treadmill because the air outside was just too risky for someone with asthma.
This graph from our local news is weeks old. No telling where we were yesterday/this morning.


So, to beat boredom on the treadmill, I get pretty creative. I can't run at one speed and incline for 50 minutes straight. This week, I tried the following which (literally) kept me on my toes the entire workout.
Begin at 4.0mph for 1 minute. Increase to 5.0mph, 6.0 mph, 7.0mph, 8.0mph for 1 minute each. Repeat for as long as you want! 
It averages out to 10:00/mile, but it really kicks my butt more than running a steady speed.

In other news, I am feeling a bit cynical/defensive/combative and all the other emotions that come from politics. I try to stay out of conversations, because I know my opinions will just fuel other fires. It seems like our country is set on being divisive these days, so keeping my mouth shut and prayerfully following what I believe seems to be easier. Anyways, I am pretty sure anyone who knows me is aware of how I feel, so that is really all that matters.

I promise I won't turn this into a "my-opinion-is" blog. HOWEVER....When things are ridiculous, I can't help but criticize it as openly as possible. I just can't let America get stupid, ya know?

First of all, I'm obsessed with pens. I am a pen stealer. I will leave a bigger tip to take the pen at a restaurant if it writes nicely. So when I Saw the Today Show discussing a new pen made for women (smaller barrel and bright, girly colors) I got giddy. I listened in only to start rolling my eyes.
Apparently these pens are now a women's rights issue. (?????) Apparently, we are taking a step back in society by forcing women to use women's products. One woman commented, "Great, now I will just wait for husband to get home from work so he can show me how to use the internet and order these!"

Gracious.

Is anyone else seeing something wrong with this? First of all, I have small hands, so I appreciate the small barrel. I have a guitar designed for women with a more slender neck.... my fingers don't reach all the way up on the frets of a normal guitar, so I like that.

Secondly, I LOVE BEING A WOMAN. What is wrong with that?! I like pink things. I like stereotypically spending large amounts of my paychecks on hair supplies, make-up, and clothes. I like that someone took the extra thought of what women may desire. That makes me feel special.
And guess what? If you are a woman that doesn't like these things, then you don't have to use them! You can use the men's pens! Or you can use pencils! Or a typewriter! 

I always try to keep an open mind, so if anyone has an educated, decent, well-formed dissent (wait, what's that?), let me hear it. Otherwise, I'm going out to buy some pink pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment